Tuesday, February 03, 2009

To know Him deeper

It's the cry throughout Isaiah, it's the heart behind Christ's words as He speaks to us...that each of us would grasp even a fraction of our purpose....
Isaiah 43:10 - "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD,
"and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe Me
and understand that I am He.
Before Me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after Me.

That is the cry of my heart...and how I desire for everyone in my life...to know Him deeper and to put down our other "gods." We consume ourselves with so many other obsessions...anything we obsess about more than God becomes an idol - right under our noses and we don't even know it's there! The average "suburbian" woman seems to understand how materialism is idolatry, but very few of us put our pride down long enough to let the Holy Spirit reveal the things we're consumed with more than Him. For example: worrying about our children, the cleanliness of our house, our appearance, people pleasing/whether or not others like us, busyness, getting our point across, being successful, time on the internet, proving ourselves to others, being liked, did I mention worry???...and the list goes on.... It's a plague in suburbia that leaves women feeling empty, lacking peace, anxious, and being driven by false gods that don't fulfill. Being set free from these idols is a daily process for everyone...God constantly reminds me to refocus, and often knocks me upside down with something that has been consuming me without my realization.

Philippians 3:7-9 - But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

Lord may we be found in You, filled with faith and focused on You above all else.

1 comment:

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

Amen!!!

I am ignoring the comment about the Internet....
:-)

Love you!